Sunday, June 1, 2008

Politics is Applesauce!

I'm quoting Will Roger's here...many of you probably don't know about him. He was an "enigma" of a humorist/comedian, in the 1920-30's that looked like a hick/hayseed/cowboy, but often said things that just made you stop and think. I can't find any "context" for this statement...but I like to say (I've made this up, actually), that he said this highly quoted phrase, when a reporter asked him, "Will, what do you think about politics?". I also like to embellish it to say that after this famous quote, the report said, "What?", to which Will Rogers replied, "Eeeexactly!"

I must admit, I don't logically understand politics. To me, it is manipulation at its finest. It's lying with flag waving and baby kissing. Its the process by which we passionately empower someone to take our money, dissapoint us, ruin our lives, take away our freedom, lift our hopes and dreams to the heights, and dash them to the seedy, trash ridden, ticker-tape and confetti stewn streets. Of course, that's the cynic in me coming out. But, maybe that's why America liked Will Rogers so much. He was a cynic, wrapped in a simpleton's outfit, saying pseudo-positive things like, "I never met a man I didn't like". Well, I, unfortunately, HAVE met many men and women I don't like...many of them politicians.

I guess the thing I don't like about politics, is that it appears that no one holds the politician, accountable. I mean, we make noises like we do. We vote the Republicans in, are disspointed, vote the Democrats in as a result (who make similar promises which are broken), and we all act like progress is made..."There, that will show those lousy politicians". Meanwhile, most or all of them are millionaires, have book deals, take vacations to places we've never heard of, and probably don't lose any sleep at night over the fact that our kids are going to college next year.

So...how do you even "wrap up" a blog like this one? Even while writing it...the motivation to finish it has left me. I can't even get excited about anyone. If leaders have followers, where is any one of these folks being presented to us going? What ARE their answers? I'd just like ONE of them to answer some of the following questions:

What is the future of the American economy?
How do we solve terrorism?
Er, um, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, applesauce...boring stuff applesauce...hardly worth discussing.

Regards,

Doc

No comments: